Thursday, April 11, 2013

THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WORLD



The 1970’s was a decade of change. To give you an idea of what changes took place during this decade here is a short list:
1. Beatles Break Up
2. Computer Floppy Disks Introduced
3. Palestinian Group Hijacks Five Planes
4. Kent State Shootings
5. VCRs Introduced
6. Mark Spitz Wins Seven Gold Medals
7. Pocket Calculators Introduced
9. Watergate Scandal Begins
10.Abortion Legalized in U.S.
11.Paul Getty Kidnapped
12.Sears Tower Built
13.U.S. Pulls Out of Vietnam  
14.U.S. Vice President Resigns
15.U.S. President Resigns

While all the above events were taking place in the world my life was also changing, graduated from high school and started my freshman year in college, Univ. of Puerto Rico [UPR] 1970. In 1971 was the year of violent riots at UPR, a US Army ROTC cadet and also a Colonel of the police died during the riots. In the middle of all this turmoil some friends from church and I started two groups of bible study on campus. These study groups became later on in 1972 the base group to form a student organization on campus known as Movimiento Alfa y Omega the student branch of Campus Crusade for Christ. Dean Beal was the coordinator of Campus Crusade for Christ on the island of Puerto Rico.

From 1973 to 1974 I lost my focus and my grades at UPR revealed that something was not right. That is when my brothers, Jose [Pepito] and Ibsen, executed a coup d'état. Somehow they managed to find me a job and a one-way airfare to the other side of the world, a man made island in the Pacific Ocean, literally in the middle of nowhere. I thought I was going on vacation to see my brother Ibsen. Upon arrival to Oahu, Hawaii I was taken to a hotel and was told that after the weekend of the 4th of July I would be interviewed, go through lab tests and if the results turned out okay I would be flown to my place of work. At that time I did not truly understand what was happening. Those few days I had a great time, I saw my brother once or twice and did not see him again until I landed on the man made island, Johnston Atoll, in the middle of nowhere at the other side of the world.

Upon arrival to the island all those that flew with me there were briefed on what we could and could not do and many other safety procedures. Afterwards we were taken to our living quarters and then in the evening I saw Ibsen my brother, we had dinner together. Then he told me that this was a one-way ticket and I had to work my way home. Reality struck! Have you ever heard “he or she was an "indentured servant”. The term
“ indentured servant” means that upon arrival to your destination you are to work to payback the cost of your voyage to the person who hired you. Three months later Ibsen is transferred and I am left behind, Coup d'état! I worked there for nine months, 6 months by force and 3 more of my free will. I returned to Puerto Rico in spring of 1976, married in the summer of 1977. 


My Family
Jose        Kelvin       Ibsen
The Morales Brothers


  



   

No comments:

Post a Comment